Homokineet or CV constant velocity joint

Bitte bei Problemen mit dem Forum das Endgerät und Version angeben!
  • Hi,
    I am now in the middle of Brazil about to klim the Andes to Peru. My front left motor side Constant Velocity joint has broken. I found 2 large steel balls under the camper. (T4 syncro 2001 california exclusive). When the garage opens monday they will remove the axil and the CV. I assume it can not be repaired.
    Can I drive on as a 3x4?
    Can I move the cv joint from the rear to the front?
    What is the vw partnumber for ordering and delivering to Brazil? The T4 does not exist here!
    Is there an other model with the same CV JOINT.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP
    I HOPE STILL TO HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS :)
    Rudy Welling
    See also rudywelling.blog for more info on this and other trips. Under passepartout you find the camper issues.

• It is not posible to drive without Driveschaft in the Front!!!

You can not use the Rear CV Joints inth Front, they are different

VW Partnumber for Frontaxel inside CV Joint: JZW498350DX

Wish you Luck with the repairs on and a Breakdown free comming 2019 :thumbup:

MFG
    Ron and the Dogs

retrocampers

Aktuelle Fuhrpark...

Ford Transit MK1 -67
    T3 Joker -87
    T3 Atlantic -90
    T3 Lyding ROG II -86
    T4 CE syncro -00

Kommt noch mehr! ^^

• but front drive shaft joints are the same at 2WD and syncro,
    so the choice to find a spare part is bigger

Wenn ich Fehler sehe und nicht darüber spreche, heißt das, dass ich einverstanden bin – und das bin ich nicht

Zitat: Witalij Wolodymyrowytsch Klytschko - Bürgermeister von Київ/Kyjiw/Kiew (Ukraine) (* 17.07.1971)

• Ron,
    Thanks for the advise. I was planning to go without the left axile. That ofcourse will be the same as with a spinning wheel on the left side and not work. If I remove both axels and only use the rear wheels wil that be OK? Or wil that result in a damaged visco coppeling bij overheating? Can all the motor power go to the back? I need to still drive over the andes? Or do you know if this CV joint is used in other models or by other brands? The T4 has never been imported in Brazil. I wil have to get a spare from Europe. This takes several weeks. Should I then replace both cv,s?

Thanks again for any advise you can give me.
    Rudy :)

• Hi,

Zitat

Or wil that result in a damaged visco coppeling

yep, the visco will overheat. My recommendation is to order a complete cv and one inner and outer cv joint as spare part and all you need to fix it. There are replacement kits with grease, clamp ... availible at Volkswagen. You might also check if you have all the tools you need to fix it.

Kind regards

Frank

• Frank,
    I saw on the web several places where I can order the CV. However it will al take several weeks to get here. Is there a way of finding out if the same CV is used on other VW models? There are enough VW garages here in the country but communication is poor.
    Thanks Rudy

• Hi,

you can check at a local VW Shop if they can get you the part. The ordering number does not look like a T4 dedicated part number and might be used also at other VW models. Can someone in the Netherlands grab the parts and send them to you via airfright? That should work within a week (UPS, FedEx they manage the customs paper).

The VW ordering number should be 701 498 103 A (inkluding all parts you need to replace it). Even if comunication is tricky, they should manage to check the partnumber at VW.

Kind regards

Frank

• Frank,
    Thanks for the part numbers. I will visit the VW garage here tomorrow when it opens. Maybe the CV is used on other VW models. Would you know? However my data shows the number to be 701 498 201. Is yours for an older model? I have a 2001 model?

I can get somebody to buy it in NL but maybe a shop can send it quicker. The part should also be available in the USA. Not sure if that route is quicker. All in all it is Christmas here in a Hotel :) .

I had an outer CV joint as spare with me. Just bad luck that the inner one broke. Should I order 2 inner ones? Or is the chance of the other one breaking independen :whistling: t?

Regards
    Rudy

• Frank,
    Thanks for the part numbers. I will visit the VW garage here tomorrow when it opens. Maybe the CV is used on other VW models. Would you know? However my data shows the number to be 701 498 201. Is yours for an older model? I have a 2001 model?

The Part number you give it's only a Boot Kit for the CV Joint, not the CV Joint complete!

The complete Driveshaft goes with the Number JZW 407 449 GX (if your Bulli has ABS), otherweis JZW 407 449 FX (without ABS)
    You will also need the Bolt N 90625101 (Dehnschraube)

MFG
    Ron and the Dogs

retrocampers

Aktuelle Fuhrpark...

Ford Transit MK1 -67
    T3 Joker -87
    T3 Atlantic -90
    T3 Lyding ROG II -86
    T4 CE syncro -00

Kommt noch mehr! ^^

• Thanks all for the help. The CV joint was removed today and it looks like the balls just dropped out because the 6 screws came loose!! No damege seams to be done to the CV joint. I hope to find some new balls here somewhere. Does anybody know the specifications :?: ? In the mean time I will drive with a 3x4 slowly to the next big city (800 km). Not sure how this will effect the viscouse Haldex coupling. I get mixed advise. I have driven some 50 km already when the CV was broken and actualy did not notice much. Please whish me luck :P and for you a Merry Christmas :) .

• Mostly the "Balls" isn't the Problem, it's the othter Parts that worn out... Clean the Parts and take a Look how Bad they really are!
    You should always Have a Co-Joint and a Bolt in outer side to keep the Wheelbearing in the right Position.
    Good Luck with the atempt to drive to the next big City!

MFG
    Ron and the Dogs

retrocampers

Aktuelle Fuhrpark...

Ford Transit MK1 -67
    T3 Joker -87
    T3 Atlantic -90
    T3 Lyding ROG II -86
    T4 CE syncro -00

Kommt noch mehr! ^^

• All,

I am now back home in NL. Because the camper was not reliable anymore I shipped it from Cartagena (Columbia) to Bremerhaven. It is now at the garage. As for the CV joint: The front left axel was remove. I drove some 2000 km with only the front right wheel and the rear wheels (via the Visco) providing power. I stopped before the Andes climb in Puerto Maldonado and waited for the new CV joint to arrive from Germany. That arrived on 2/1/2019 (so it took all in all 9 days over Xmas/New year). A local workshop fitted it and we could drive on. So it is possible to drive the synchro as a 3x4:):!: Only the wear of the tire was high so it now needs to be replaced. Voor more details on all the problems I experienced with the camper please follow this link https://rudywelling.blog/2019/02/21/camper-issues-to-date/

Regards

Rudy Welling