T4 syncro gearbox Repair or not to repair

Bitte bei Problemen mit dem Forum das Endgerät und Version angeben!
  • My T4 Syncro California Exclusive camper has broken down in Mexico. The drive belt broke and most likely the "Kurbelwelle". The camper is on the boat to Bremerhaven. I am looking now for a replacement ACV engine (2,5 TDI). I have ordered a new sport visco coupling ,500 Nm, from Kern in Austria. I am now wondering if I should have my gearbox overhauled. The garage in Holland says that if it works leave it. The gearbox however has run some 330.00 km and since everything has to come out maybe it is a good idea. What is the experience with the T4 syncro gearbox from 2001? What are the symptoms for problems? How many KM's can you normally drive with it. I expect to only drive now in Europe for a few years and then retire the camper.

My trip around the world is describe in Rudywelling.blog. Under Passepartout you can read up about the conversion from 2x2 to 4x4 in 2016 and on all the issues i had with the camper along the 160,000 km drive around the world. Clearly I was asking too much from this bus and outside Europe spare parts and good mechanics are an issue.

Looking forward to reading your advise related to the gearbox

Rudy

• Code
    From experience I can say that the gears are durable, but they also need maintenance. The problem is that the transmission oil is changed too seldom, which reduces the lifespan of the bearings.
    If you want to drive the transmission for a long time, an overhaul is definitely recommended. If the tapered roller bearings are too worn, they will fall out of the bearing housing and the bearing seat will break.

I can later upload a few more pictures of the gearbox with 300 000km mileage.

Best regards

Ed

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Edna-T4 (17. April 2023 um 07:23)

• Hello,

More than 300,000 km is about the limit for the 02G gearbox and also for 02A

Do you have to have a general overhaul, new bearings for the shafts, new synchro rings 1/2 gear, oil seals

And gearbox conversion to 6 gears!

Regards EuroTuning

• Hello Rudy,

friends of mine had a broken gearbox on a T5 and had it repaired at Getriebetechnik Jürries in Wilsum. They were happy with the service, but didn't keep the car very long after the repair for completely different reasons. So unfortunately I cannot say anything about the durability of the repair. But maybe it is worth asking anyway.

I recently mentioned this company to someone who asked for help beacuse he needed a spare part, but sadly he did not report back, if he was successful and he did not log on to the forum since the beginning of march. Maybe you can ask him, but I wouldn't be too confident you'd get a response...

Best regards,

Jan

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von OctaviJan (18. April 2023 um 00:41)

• Ed,

I would like to see your gearbox pictures. Please send to wellingrwf@yahoo.com

Does anybody think I should just put it back? Or any suggestions of an overhall place closer to The Netherlands?

Thanks

Rudy

Eurotuning in Prague has quite a good reputation amongst us european T4 enthusiasts.

I guess that a simple overhaul of your gearbox can be done in around a week (leave some spare time,

for unknown eventualities :P) which is a good amount of time to have a good time in the city.

... and if they should be done earlier than expected, well :P

So I am opting for putting it back in, driving around till you end up in Prague :)

but fix a date beforehand, afair they are booked for months in advance.